October 23, 2011

Ooer!



Now I don't want to cause alarm and I certainly would need to see a little more proof before sending the balloon up but I found something today that has sent a shiver down my spine. On the banks of the river Wye, whilst walking the dog, Nicky picked up an item that could have far reaching repercussions - a claw.


There can be just one possible owner for an appendage such as this - the dreaded Signal Crayfish.


Of course, it could have been carried there from some distant location in the mouth of a bird, it may have been left there by some visiting angler with a warped sense of humour (if it was, I doff my hat to you Sir), or there may be some other perfectly logical reason for the remains of one of our least welcome alien species being on my patch, I just don't know - yet. But take a look again at that picture, the claw is massive! If anybody reading this has any idea what size of beastie a claw of this magnitude would belong to then please, tell me.

I have heard of signals on some of the upper stretches but nothing around Bredwardine due mainly to the bed rock which prevents burrowing, hopefully this is a freak incident - hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. That claw will belong to a very large mature Signal Dave.............. i do hope that you don't have them at Bredwardine mate as they are a night mare, not just to the fishing but to just about everything that lives in the river!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will be invading Iraq next you mark my words.:-)

    ReplyDelete